Friday, November 30, 2007

A Letter From the Grave

Dear sports world,


My name is Sean Taylor. I've been in the news recently. I was murdered in my own home. I played football for the NFL's Washington Redskins. I played college ball at the "U"......as in the University of Miami. Before that, you could say I grew up in the "hood" .....if you consider Richmond Heights a hood with the average medium family income at $44,095. My parents divorced when I was three years old and I was raised by my Father and my stepmother.


My dad was and is the police chief of the Florida City Police Department. I was always surrounded by law enforcement friends of the family my entire childhood. Yet the media continues to label me as a product of the "hood".


I fell in love with football at Gulliver Prep where I played running back on offense and defensive back on defense. Football gave me a sense of who I was......it also made me ......well....it made me feel like my own man. I was good. Natural talent. And I worked hard to be better. That drive led to three successful years at the University of Miami. After my Junior year, I did what most athletes would do.......I opted for the NFL. I had read....heard.....even imagined I just might be a first round draft pick......so......hey, what the heck?


So......in 2004, the Redskins pick me in the first round. Wow.....that rookie season. I fired 2 agents......yes I did....and I was accused of spitting on a Cincinnati Bengal player....no I didn't.....and it was never proven. In the 2005 season I was fined $5000 for not wearing the Redskins socks. And....I will admit I did spit at Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman and was fined $17,ooo .....but only him....and I.....well may be the ref's ....know what the exact exchange between the two of us was.


The NFL is a strange league. I made the Pro Bowl last year. And I didn't think of it as my best. I had a up and down year and only made it as an alternate.....Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins chose not to play....opening the door ....for me.


Now it's 2007.........I'm leading the Redskins with 5 interceptions but I'm sidelined with an injury.....so I return to my Miami home.


I'm in my bedroom along with my woman and child......when someone....somebody.......some person.....has invaded a privacy....my privacy. I react.....I over react....This is My house...I think I hear a sound that sounds like a gun shot.....I feel a sharp pain. My body is still moving.....I can still hear.....I can feel.....but then ....I can't breathe.....and then......I'm out. Asleep. They would later say I went into a coma.....what's the difference. I was in shock. I lost a ton of blood. And.......I'm not there with you today.


My death has touched a great deal of people.....It has also demonized everything from "hip hop" to "rap". They are saying, "He got what he deserved"..........."It had to have been another woman who shot him"..........."He bragged too much about his money"........."This was a random act of a burglar"....."His girl friend did it".....and so on .....and so on.


Let me just say this.......you are what you are.....I....am not of the hood.....I....have made a ton of mistakes. I...... love my child, my mother & father and the mother of my child. At 24 years old, I now will miss out on the life that you ......and that sports world full of you guys and gals take for granted. But for just a mere moment........think of me.....be me......if only for .....a mere moment.


Sincerely,

Sean Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear your thoughts............