Monday, June 9, 2008

A Few Things.......Learned From the Weekend


A horse is a horse.......of course, of course..........

After sitting through an hour of pre-game hype Saturday........we finally got to see the Belmont Stakes race. We all were suppose to be seeing history. What we got was a horse who didn't want to be there.....much less run. Big Brown turned into the Big Frown. He finished dead last. Post race testing revealed nothing wrong physically with Big Brown.

Our take is this........the horse just didn't feel like running.......case closed. It was all mental.

When I was in high school, my freshman year........I decided to be on the cross-country track team. This is where you run 6 to 8 miles in the woods. Up and down hills........through creeks.....underbrush ..........etc. Some days I felt like running.......some days I didn't.

Big Brown is a horse...........an animal.......He didn't feel like running.....so he didn't.


Home sweet home?

A funny thing happened in Atlanta..........and to Atlanta. The Braves played 3 home games at Turner Field over the weekend ..............and lost .......all three! To the division leading Philadelphia Phillies....no less. Atlanta had been the leagues' best home team. But they were swept right of the "Ted". I could start getting worried and write a bunch of posts on the underachieving Bravos'..........but........talk about your long seasons..........there's still over 100 games left to play this season. But I will say this........The Braves stink!


Remember ....when?

I may be showing my age. I may indeed be getting a tad bit old. But I do remember when graduation ceremonies on a high school level were very solemn. There was silence when each name was called. There was applause only at the very end. And then the graduates would march out the same way they marched in.......to the music of "Pomp & Circumstances".

Well ........I'm here to tell you.....I have been to the mountain top.....I have now seen it all. This weekend , I traveled to Winston-Salem, NC to attend my nephews' high school graduation. My graduation was held at the high school football stadium........in the heat of the afternoon....My Nephew's high school held its ceremony in an air conditioned Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum (home of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons). There had to be over 5,000 folks in attendance.

And the noise? Every group was in competition..........to see who could cheer the loudest for their particular graduate.... It was ..........awesome! I've never heard this much noise at UGA basketball game. The attendees were vocal..........really into it.....I was indeed ....impressed.


And I thought it was hot in Georgia.......

Don't know if it's a global warning thing or what......when we left the peach state Saturday, the temperatures were in the high 90's............but North Carolina? Can you say 100 degrees? It was ...........sooooooo hot there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd like to hear your thoughts............